Apprenticeship Application Process
Are you interested in applying for the program?
If you are interested in a career as a Steamfitter, you are welcome to apply for the apprenticeship program. Please carefully read all the information below.
Locations and Times
The 2021 Applications will be taken online only starting Monday, January 4, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. and closing on Friday, January 15, 2021 at 11:00 a.m.
Please visit: www.602training.org (will not be active until January 4, 2021)
Minimum Requirements for the 2021 application period:
Applicants must be 18 years old by August 15, 2021 (born before August 15, 2003)
High school diploma earned by June 30, 2021 or GED certificate by December 31, 2020
Once you have applied, the following documents must be mailed or brought into our office by 3:00 p.m. on Friday, January 22, 2021.
Apprenticeship Application Flier
Applicants must provide one of the following educational documents:
1. Official Transcript of High School Grades (Must be in a sealed envelope from the school and have a raised seal affixed). High school seniors must also provide a letter from their guidance counselor on school letterhead stating that they will graduate by June 30, 2021.
2. GED Scores and certificate (Only GEDs that are American Council on Education accredited will be accepted. Visit www.acenet.edu for further information).
Applicants must provide all of the following additional documents:
3. Social Security Card
4. County or State issued birth certificate, United States Passport or Naturalization Certificate
5. Valid Driver’s License or a State issued Picture Identification Card
6. DD214 (for veterans of military service only)
*Please do not procrastinate compiling these documents. Replacements may take several weeks to obtain.
*All foreign documents must be accompanied by a translation of that document and a letter from your embassy stating its authenticity. For any transcript, the letter must document the equivalency of this transcript.
*You may apply only once during the application period.
*The office is open for receiving documentation from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
*Office is closed Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
*You are highly encouraged to give your documentation to the office staff as opposed to just leaving it to ensure you have turned in all the necessary documents.
*It is your responsibility to ensure this office receives all your required documents by the due date and time!
*All documents must be copies that we can keep except the Official High School Transcripts (must be originals that we keep).
*If you are selected for apprenticeship, final acceptance will be contingent on ability to pass drug and background screening.
Mailing and Drop Off Location:
UA MECHANICAL TRADES SCHOOL
8509 Ardwick Ardmore Road
Landover, Maryland 20785
- Once documentation has been received, you will be given a math testing date and time. Math testing will start as early as Monday, January 26, 2021 and will be held during normal business hours. Math testing assignments will be given to you when you turn in your documentation. If you should need to drop off your documentation and no staff is available, you will be emailed a math test assignment.
- If you fail to report at the assigned time and date for your math test, your application will not be considered.
- If you fail to pass the math test your application will not be considered.
Sample Math Test
The Application Process
If you are interested in applying, make sure that you follow the instructions above. When you apply, please make sure you have all the required documentation and the application fee.
Once your documentation is approved and your fee paid, you will be given an application to fill out and a time to come back later that day to take your math and/or aptitude test. The test will be given at the same location where you applied.
After you complete the math and/or aptitude test, you will be notified of the status of your application by mail (the US Postal Service). If you are invited for an interview and miss it, your application will not be considered, and you will be required to reapply next year. If selected for the apprenticeship, final acceptance will be contingent on ability to pass drug and background screening.
Since correspondence with applicants is done via mail, it is essential that you keep your address current with the apprenticeship office. You will be liable if you do not contact the apprentice office of an address change in a timely manner. After applying, you are asked to not contact the apprentice office about the status of your application. You will be notified of your application status by mail only!
If you are interested in applying for a Helper’s job, please contact Greg Davis at the Steamfitters Local 602 Union Hall at 240-719-7010.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact the Apprentice Office
UA Mechanical Trades School
8421 Ardwick Ardmore Road
Landover, MD 20785
(301) 341-1555 phone
(301) 386-3271 fax
7552 Accotink Park Road
Springfield, VA 22150
(703) 569-0602 phone
(703) 569-5475 fax