Steamfitters UA Local #602 represents over 5,000 Journeymen, Apprentices and Helpers, who work for roughly 200 Mechanical Construction and Service Contractors, in the Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration and Process Piping Industry throughout the Washington, DC Metropolitan area.
While a "Steamfitter" is not one of the more commonly known occupations, it is in fact one that helps to hold together the very fabric of our modern day society. Please take a moment to read about the many services that our members provide and reflect on how valuable those services are to you.
Our Members are the men and women who provide you with the installation, service and maintenance of the equipment and components necessary to operate the:
- Heating and Air Conditioning systems in your homes, places of work, education, recreation, necessity and leisure.
- Electricity generating processes in Gas, Coal, Trash Burning and Nuclear Power Generation facilities.
- Low and Medium Temperature Refrigerators, Freezers and Coolers in Grocery Stores, Convenience Stores, Food Processing Plants and Restaurants.
- Medical Gas systems in Hospitals, Clinics and Doctor's Offices.
- Pharmaceutical and Microchip Fabrication systems in processing plants.
- Cooling systems that monitor and modulate the safe operating temperature of the internet servers and critical computer systems in Data Centers, Office Buildings, Server Farms, Broadcasting Equipment and Cellular Service Towers.
We are not only the men and women who provide everyone with all of these and so many other services on a on a daily basis, as part of a regular work week, but we also provide you with these things 24 hours a day 7 days a week, whenever an emergency creates necessity or when you call upon us to do so.
In describing all of these duties, we hope that everyone will be able to understand just how critical our jobs are and how much society would suffer without us.
Without the services that "Steamfitters" provide:
- There would be no Air Conditioning, Heat or any type of unnatural temperature moderation to provide us with comfort in any of the structures that we live, work or spend our leisure time in.
- We would all be without any method of preserving perishable products in Grocery Stores, Convenience Stores, Food Processing Plants or Restaurants.
- The doctors and staff in Hospitals, Clinics and Medical Facilities wouldn’t have a method of providing the necessary Medical Gases needed to help save lives.
- The people who work in Pharmaceutical and Microchip Processing Plants would find it difficult to create the microchips for our cell phones, computers, video games and other electronic devices or the medications that we all rely on to cure our ailments.
- The temperature sensitive computer systems that operate internet servers for websites such as Facebook, Amazon, America Online, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo and so many others would shut down leaving us without access to the web.
- The high powered temperature sensitive computer systems in government facilities that house all agencies and branches of military would be inoperable without the temperature regulation we provide in those systems.
- The cellular service provider's towers that are used to transmit signals to operate our cell phones would be inoperable without our work to ensure that the necessary cooling systems prevent overheating of the equipment used in their operation.
- The equipment that is used for the broadcasting of Television and Radio communications would be inoperable as well, without us.
- The various types of Power Generation Facilities would not be able to produce Electricity to power the world that we live in, Without the work that we do to build and maintain those plants.
We hope that this has enlightened you and that you can
appreciate the services that we provide to the residents of the Washington
Metropolitan Area. We also hope that when you think of the many critical
services that we provide, you will say to yourself “Thank you Mr. or Ms.